abusive boyfriend or perfect man?

I'm currently reading Twilight and 198Italic4 and the strangest thing just happened...last night, I was reading about Winston and his Junior League Anti-Sex girl having their first rendezvous in the meadow in the Oceania/British countryside. As I was reading I thought about the Twilight scene in Edward's meadow...and I just read it. Isn't it interesting how both books have similar scenes, but one can make your heart race while the other makes you feel kind of dirty?

This is my second reading of both books...of course, 1984 was read the first time around a few years ago, while Twilight was just a few months ago. Twilight still makes my heart pound...but I'm also seeing the flaws this time around. Still a good story...but not such great writing. I was reading on Goodreads in a review who men should read Twilight for insight into women and relationships...it's so true. We don't need bodice-ripping romances to make out hearts race...we just need men that want us so much that they can't even touch us.

However, as much as I love the story...Edward reminds me a little of an abusive boyfriend...he's got a quick temper and Bella has to live in constant fear that he's going to kill her. Not a healthy relationship at all!

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Chicks on Lit! I'm not a fan of Twilight because of the writing, but I also felt a little like you when you wrote: "Edward reminds me a little of an abusive boyfriend... he's got a quick temper and Bella has to live in constant fear that he's going to kill her. Not a healthy relationship at all!" I haven't heard anyone else have this opinion until I read your post today.

    There are too many young abusive relationships these days and it's very scary & disturbing to me. (Especially since in the past I was in some very badly abusive relationships and know what the violence (verbal and/or physical) does to a person).

    ReplyDelete