A graduate student chronicles her life as a student, an auntie, a sister, a daughter, and a friend.
it got worse.
6 months. Possibly 1 year. Palliative care. How does this happen? How can something get this bad? How, as an onlooker, do you provide support? What do I do?
I am so sorry. How very sad........my prayers are with you and your family. I don't what you do in a time like this. I've had my share of tragic things happen and I do know that when my daughter died and also when I went through a massive heart attack all I wanted was for people to help me without me having to tell them what to do. I just wanted to "be" and have someone else handle the details of everything. So maybe you can try to just be there and help where you see help is needed and listen when they want to talk. About whatever they need to talk about it.
And you aren't really an onlooker---you are part of it---its your family----you are entitled to be sad and hurt and upset too. Don't push your feelings down either. Talk to your friends and lean on them too if you need to do that.
I am so sorry. How very sad........my prayers are with you and your family. I don't what you do in a time like this. I've had my share of tragic things happen and I do know that when my daughter died and also when I went through a massive heart attack all I wanted was for people to help me without me having to tell them what to do. I just wanted to "be" and have someone else handle the details of everything. So maybe you can try to just be there and help where you see help is needed and listen when they want to talk. About whatever they need to talk about it.
ReplyDeleteAnd you aren't really an onlooker---you are part of it---its your family----you are entitled to be sad and hurt and upset too. Don't push your feelings down either. Talk to your friends and lean on them too if you need to do that.