Halfway Done...

In my 504 Reflection, I commented that I did not want to be a library practitioner, but I also said things can change. After completing eighteen credits, my enjoyment of the practical side of library science has returned. While most of what we learn in our SIRLS classes is theoretical, those theories are building a strong base for when we do graduate to full-fledged Librarians. Through practice-bases courses, incredible theory/practice hybrid projects, and employment opportunities I have reconnected with my love of the practical side of libraries – helping patrons, researching topics, and juggling it all at once.

Two courses that I have taken, 524: Information Resources and Services and 572: Government Information, both with Dr. Cheryl Malone, are incredible practice-based courses. Both have included challenging assignments that involving searching on a variety of interfaces, including databases, government websites, and occasionally Google. Through both of these courses I have gained knowledge of a variety of reference resources and how to utilize them in a professional role.

In 651: Information Policy & Cultural Perspectives and 520: Ethics for Library and Information Professionals, I have gained knowledge of less hands-on ideas that surround and infiltrate the library world. Two topics that I am fascinated with are privacy and social networking, in these classes I have been able to delve deeper into both topics and look at each topic from the perspective of current library professionals. For our final project in 520, I was able to interview a library professional from the Pima County Public Library system on self-service holds and the threat to patron privacy and confidentiality. In 651, I interviewed two librarians on their library’s usage of social networking tools and other newer technologies and possible implications the usage of these tools may have on the digital divide.

Additionally, I was able to complete a semester as a Graduate Assistant on the Document Delivery Team at the University library and it was an incredible semester where I learned a lot of hands-on, practical information. Many people enter library school, and may graduate from library school, with no previous experience working in a library, while I have been lucky enough to work in four different library settings; it was working with the Document Delivery Team that taught me the inner workings of InterLibrary Loans.
Prior to beginning my SIRLS adventure, I was a Library Aide at a public library, most of my day was spent at the circulation desk, and a grueling time it was. Most of my time was spent with angry or frustrated patrons who had overdue books, library fines, lost books or all of the above. It was not the most pleasant library experience; however, currently I am working at a medical library as a library assistant where I am able to assist patrons in literature searches, InterLibrary Loan requests, and finding the perfect article to complete a paper. It is an incredible job that I was chosen for thanks to my experience as a Graduate Assistant and due to the incredible education I have received at SIRLS thus far.

Library science is so diverse in what it offers, whether one chooses a practical, educational, or theoretical path, courses at SIRLS will provide the background and information necessary to be successful in whatever path is chosen. I am excited to continue on with my SIRLS adventure and look forward to the next bout of self-discovery that a course is sure to bring about.

1 comment:

  1. i romanticize of being a librarian one day when i retire. listening to your adventures in grad school make realize how serious and huge and wonderful the profession is. i suppose i'll still to my current career path and just volunteer. hehe

    ReplyDelete