I never thought it possible to learn so much in seven days, but 504 showed me that anything can happen in Library School. Before this program started, I was nervous to put myself in a position to be judged. Judged by professors and other students, but this past week has shown me that SIRLS is not your typical graduate program. It was a great experience to meet with all of the other students starting this experience with me and to meet most of the professors. Through all of the modules covered, I know that I have a great base of knowledge for every class that I will take through my career at SIRLS.
One of the most challenging projects completed during the entire four weeks of 504 was the Issue Paper . After the mountains of readings, the most difficult task was trying to pick just one issue to tackle in a short paper. Despite the difficulties, I learned a great deal from the experience of searching through databases and gathering information about my topic, children’s access to materials in public libraries. Additionally, I experienced first-hand the difficulties presented by the Library of Congress Classification system as well as confusion in dealing with Library of Congress Subject Headings. I think my experience researching my topic gave me more insight into how a patron feels when using an unfamiliar classification system. I definitely appreciate my own research skills developed, although a little rusty, from my job at my college’s library. I look forward to building on my research skills and finding new and better ways to access information resources.
While the readings prior to the seven day intensive were overwhelming, I have never before enjoyed readings for a class. It was refreshing to discover that I have chosen the correct field for myself. Finally, classes with content that I really want to delve into and dissect, subjects and information that I can form opinions on and defend because I am passionate about what I am learning. The different topics, like ethical issues and values for Information Professionals and diversity in libraries, really opened my eyes to the depth that SIRLS curriculum goes into. Additionally, I read about the economics of libraries and intellectual freedom and censorship. There was such a wide-range of topics and issues it was exciting and awe-inspiring at the same time.
Before 504, I thought I wanted to work in an Academic Library or a Law Library. I loved being in college and working in my college’s libraries was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I also really love the law, how it changes and evolves as our culture changes amazes me. I thought an Academic Law Library would be the perfect place for me, but 504 opened my eyes a little more. I realized during 504 that I do not want to be a practitioner. While I love libraries and everything the institution of a library stands for, working in a library is not what I see myself doing. I love the issues surrounding libraries - intellectual freedom, copyright, children’s access. Through the professional development modules and our group project on types of libraries, this course helped me see that I have other options and after I complete my degree, I intend to apply to either Law School or to the SIRLS Doctoral Program. Of course, I know that with every course I take, my professional goals may also change; that is part of the excitement.
Technological advances affect everyone everyday. However, even with my experience working in libraries, I did not realize how much technology affected a librarian. After 504, I know that I have to beef up my technological skills. Even if I do not want to be a practitioner, RSS feeds, blogs, wikis, xml, and that which has yet to come, will play a part in my professional career.
I have never experienced a course as intense or as fulfilling as 504. By the end of our week in Tucson, I knew that I had developed a true understanding of the basic elements of information resources and library science. I am incredibly excited to begin my journey here at SIRLS and cannot wait to see, hear, and read more about the world of Information Resources and Library Science.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















































Melissa,
ReplyDeletegood for you. Isn't it exciting to always be looking for the next thing to help us grow.
My husband serves on the local Library Board.
We love Librarians!